The New York Central Railroad purchased a 50 foot wide strip
of underwater property from Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club and
filled it in as part of their program to rebuild and widened their
roadbed. A freight and two express tracks were added to the original
two rail lines. The railroad built the Broadway Bridge over the
tracks for access to the newly constructed Westerly Way in 1913.
The Club did not have access to the Bridge or Westerly Way. Access
remained via a planked foot crossing over the tracks.
In January of 1914 fire destroyed the old Clubhouse. A new one
was found shortly thereafter in Oscawanna.
The new clubhouse was barged down the river, rolled onto a new
pier and raised one story in the summer of 1914. The land between
the new clubhouse and shore was filled.