Shattemuc Yacht & Canoe Club
PDF file of newspaper
clippings on this topic click
The village of
Sing Sing changed its name to Ossining in 1901. The Yacht Club, not wanting to be associated
only with the Prison, voted to change its name as well. They became the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club
of Ossining, as some of their members also belonged to the revived
Shattemuc Canoe Club. Later
that year Ralph Brandreth, the Yacht Club’s Commodore since 1887,
stepped down due to poor health, and sold the clubhouse and property
to the re-named Club.
1902 the Ossining Yacht Club closed, and many of its members rejoned
the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe club. Motorboats now replaced sandbaggers
and the clubhouse continued as a center of social activity for
the gentlemen of Ossining
Some Ossining Places
of Interest. We give herewith a fine view
of the club house of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club down on
our river front, a little north of the Upper Dock.
This is very seasonable just now when the
river has shaken off its ice mantel and is becoming a scene of
action once more.
Just now all about the house is a
scene of activity, and boats, canoes and sails are being overhauled
to see in what condition they may be in after winter’s rest.
The verandas of the club house are
very attractive places in the season and particularly on hot evenings
in the “dog days”, when everyone is looking and hunting for a
In February, 1889,
steps were taken to erect the present club house on the river front,
and from then the organization became very flourishing.
The sailing craft fleet, however,
has given way to steam, electric, and other power boats, some
thirty being now enrolled in the club, which has a membership
of about sixty, the names on the roster including a large number
of the prominent men of the village.
When the name of the village was
changed, the club name changed to the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe
Club, as a number of canoeists are among the members.
The present officers of the Club are Commodore, Ralph Brandreth;
vice-commodore, Dr. Edward B Sherwood; secretary, Robert T Dennis;
treasurer, William M Carpenter; measurer, Roger M Haddock --Democratic
The Yacht Club
Entertainment. The regatta entertainment committee
of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club have completed arrangements
for the minstrel show and entertainment, to be given under the
auspices of the Club in Olive Opera House on Friday evening, April
Two of Ossining’s most celebrated
and popular minstrel artists – Robert Deming and Frank E Foshay
– have volunteered their services to the committee and will prove
a strong addition to the cast in the position of bones and tambo.
all means, do not miss the treat of seeing these two local celebrities
in amateur minstreldom in the Yacht Club show.
The second part,
we are informed, will consist of a laughable sketch by a number
of popular artists from one of Proctor’s Theatres, New York.
The reserve seats can be procured
at S Olin Washburne’s drug store on and after 7:30 o’clock on
the evening of Wednesday, April 8th, when the board
Democratic Register 3.28.1903
Naptha Launch Getty, built by Julius Peterson 1902. Kipp Engine built in Ossining.
Club Notes --J
Morris Vail has bought a brand new naptha launch named “Getty”
from Julius Peterson of Tarrytown.
Its length over all is 28 feet, beam 6 feet, 2 inches,
and the engine is a Kipp seven-horse power two cycle.
The boat has a torpedo-boat stern and standing top.
The new arrival looks as though it would be a smart one
and will be a fine addition to the fleet.
--The regular monthly
meeting of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club was held last Friday
evening at the club house. The
committee in charge of the entertainment to be given under the
auspices of the Club at Olive Opera House, on Friday evening April
17th, made a gratifying report. The Constitution and By-Laws, as adopted by
the Club at the March meeting, will come up for final approval,
as provided for in the Constitution.
Democratic Register 4.04.1903
To Sell Yacht Club
House. Mrs. Ralph Brandreth has been
authorized to sell the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club house, which
belongs to her husband, on the finding of the referee, Counselor
Benjamin Fagan, who was appointed by the Supreme Court to file
a report on same. It was
merely a matter of form, so the members can purchase and acquire
proper title to their handsome club house.
Our Yachtsmen Celebrate. The members of the Shattemuc
Yacht and Canoe Club successfully planned and carried out a very
pleasant programme for their amusement on the afternoon and evening
of Labor Day, whic h was thoroughly enjoyed by themselves and
In the afternoon a short cruise
was taken by a few of the motor boats down the river, below Nyack,
and on their return a stop was made at Bardine’s St. George Hotel,
and a fine dinner was enjoyed.
Returning to the club-house,
which had been tastefully decorated with flags, pennants, etc.,
and about eight o’clock, they were met by a large assemblage of
members and friends who were present to see the fireworks and
take in the entertainment.
The fireworks were very pretty, the night being dark
enough to show them off to the best advantage.
The entertainment which followed
was furnished by a trio of talented young Ossining people – the
Misses Adelaide and Laura Willi, and Joseph F Willi, Jr – a professional
New York monologist, and E B Randolph, a fine singer.
The monologist gave some good impersonations
and recitation; the Misses Willi and brother gave some delightful
instrumental music on piano, violin, and cornet; Mr. Randolph,
a well know White Plains tenor, delighted every one with several
refreshments were also served during the evening and the affair
was continued until eleven o’clock.
It was a very pleasant social event, and was thoroughly
enjoyed by all present.
The First Motor
Boat Regatta. The first race for motor boats
ever held in these waters took place over a four-mile course laid
out in front of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club, on Saturday
afternoon last, and was most successful.
There were ten boats taking part,
and they were divided into three classes, called C, D and E.
The boats in the first class carried a red flag and went
around the course four times, sixteen miles in all.
The second class carried white flags and went around three
times, twelve miles. The third class carried blue flags and went
around twice, or eight miles.
The starting gun was fired at 2.50
for the E class, D and C followed at five-minute intervals.
The start was a one-gun affair, the gun being taken as
the time of start.
The boats were measured, and the time allowances
made up, according to the rules of the American Power Boat Association,
by Measurer Roger M Haddock.
To William M Carpenter, the efficient
and hustling chairman of the Regatta Committee, much of the credit
of the successful handing of the affair is due, as most of the
detail work fell upon him.
The results were as follows:
Class C – Red Flag
Class D – White Flag
Class E – Blue Flag
The winners were congratulated
on their return to the club house, and the losers were just as
enthusiastic over the result as the former were.
They say there will be a different story next time.
were served to the guests during the afternoon, and the affair
took on the aspect of a very pleasing social event. --The Democratic
Yacht and Canoe Club’s Successful Cruise. For the first time since its
organization as the Sing Sing Boat Club, on October 20th,
1887, the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club Saturday and Sunday last
participated in a formal cruise. The event was the happy conceit of Harry M
Carpenter, chairman of the regatta committee, who had able aides
in the persons of his fellow-committeemen – Messrs. Louis H Soule
and George F Hoag – in carrying out the project.
The cruisers made a voyage to
Poughkeepsie and return, the original idea of running to Kingston
having had to be abandoned on account of the tempestuous weather
encountered at Fishkill, where the party made the ascent of Mount
Beacon. Indeed, the cruisers
had a conglomeration of weather conditions, not the least of which
was the torrid heat. Such
trifles, however, did not militate against the enjoyment of the
cruise, and, save for a little sunburn, the voyagers have nothing
but the pleasantest memories.
Fleet Captain J Herbert Carpenter
was in command of the squadron, the flagship being his comfortable
houseboat “Whileaway”. The
other boats of the fleet were the “Peggy”,; owned by Measurer
George F Secor; “Rover”, House Committeeman James Bedell owner;
and the “Passim”, the natty twenty-eight foot power launches owned
by supervisor John J Sinnott of Mount Pleasant who tendered its
use to Supervisor Robert T Dennis. The “Passim” is the crack boat of the Tarrytown Yacht Club, and
“Ted” Sherwood and Frank E Foshay took
pleasure in trying it out in a manner that redounded to the credit
of the craft.
naval regulations were observed during the cruise, all of the
signals being given from the flagship.
This gave a decidedly yachty flavor to the occasion, and
as the boats maneuvered in formation, they presented a very pretty
picture as they rollicked along with colors gaily flying.
Boat Race and Cruise. The Regatta Committee of the
Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club have arranged for a motor boat
race and cruise the later part of next week, commencing Memorial
Day – Thursday – and ending on Sunday, June 2d.
course will be from the local club house to the Newburgh Yacht
day’s run up the river will be a race, with prizes to winners
in each class. Time allowances
and further information will be given out as soon as the entries
are all filed and the classes made up.
The committee earnestly desires that all of the motor boat
owners, of whom there are a large number, will participate, as
a most enjoyable time is assured. All of the club members, not boat owners, are
also invited, and will be assigned to places in the different
cruisers, and at the hotels, if accommodations on the boats are
of this popular yacht club are always looked forward to with great
anticipations by the members, and this spring’s cruise bids fair
to excel in enjoyment and fun all previous ones.
Yacht Club Breezes. The House Committee – Messrs.
Philip H Fleck, J Curry Barlow, I T Washburne, Frank E Foshay
and Harry M Carpenter – have announced that, commencing last Saturday,
the Grill Room is open for the serving of meals a la cart
every day between the hours of noon and 2 PM and from 5 to 8 PM.
At other hours by arrangement with the steward.
prepared is a splendid one and consists of stakes and chops, chaffing
dish concoctions, salads, soups, fish, vegetable, cold meats,
eggs, sandwiches, relished, dessert, coffee, tea, soft drinks,
cigars, and cigarettes.
regular monthly meeting was held last (Friday) night and considerable
routine business was transacted.
The cruise and the heavy rains of Memorial Day
made the clubhouse a rather lonesome place for a holiday.
of the Shattemucs. The power
boats “Peggy” and "Vive” owned by George F Secor and I T
Washburne, respectively, arrived home Tuesday morning, bearing
fifteen of the jolly tars of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club,
who had been absent on an up-river cruise since the Saturday preceding
They were rapturous over the
success of the trip and say it was one of their most enjoyable
experiences as members of the Shattemuc Club.
Memorial Day, anchors were weighted at eight o’clock, and after
an uninterrupted trip, Catskill was reached early in the evening.
Dinner was served and after a good night's sleep the party
started driving early the following morning through the mountains.
After a ride up the incline, carriages were again impressed
and a most interesting ride brought them to picturesque Haines’
Falls. The bracing air put all hands in fine trim
for the dinner, which was awaiting them.
The return trip to Catskill was made by easy stages.
prows of the boats were pointed home Monday morning and a stop
was made at Kingston.
A thrilling incident of the cruise,
which may merit a national decoration, was the heroic rescues
of a ship-wrecked yachting party.
The high power motor in a large boat, containing two ladies
and two gentlemen, had broken down, and the craft was drifting
at the mercy of wind and waves off Germantown, where the doughty
mariners on board the “Peggy”
caught sight of it. No
time was lost in going to the rescue, and the disabled boat was
towed into Catskill.
owner of the boat, who is the general manager of the Fairbanks
Scale Company, at Albany, was most fervent in his expression of
gratitude to his rescuers, and his companions were no less effusive
in their thanks.
Meet and Dine. The regular
monthly meeting of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club was held
at the clubhouse Friday night of last week and Commodore James
Cup for the season of 1910 was placed on exhibition.
This is donated each year by William M Carpenter, now of
England, the Club’s former popular treasurer, for a series of
The Club decided to build a one-design
boat to compete in the race for boats of this character, which
is to be held in connection with the annual regatta of the Hudson
Association, which takes place at this village on Labor Day. Several members have contributed to the building
fund and the rest of the money will be furnished from the Club treasury.
Club News Notes. The House Committee of the Shattemuc
Yacht and Canoe Club – Messrs Philip H Fleck, Frank E Foshay, John
P Faure, Ralph K Cotton, and Robert M Akin, chairman, have this
week issued the following notice:
Room will be open for members on July 1st.
Meals will be served from noon to seven PM.
Any special orders, not on the bill-of-fare will be served
after giving reasonable length of time for procuring the same.
for boats can be procured the same as usual, from the regular tank,
also the Club has installed a special tank for the use of automobiles.
Price 14 cents per gallon.
of the large number of accounts, the Club has decided to issue coupon
books which are to be used in the Grill Room and the purchase of
gasoline. Cash will not
be accepted. Coupon books
can be procured from H M Carpenter, treasurer; R M Akin, House Committee
chairman; Peter Clausen, janitor.”
to Revive Sailboating. The new one-design boat of the
Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club, constructed at Tarrytown, was received
by the local club last Saturday and in the trials already held she
promises to give a fine account of herself in the one-design class
competition, which will be an event of the Labor Day regatta of
the Hudson River Yacht Racing Association, at this village, and
in which President Harry M Carpenter offers a magnificent cup to
boat, which has been christened “Shattemuc”, is sloop rigged and
is twenty-one feet over all, with a length of fifteen feet on the
crew has not been selected and it is practically impossible to get
an experienced one from the younger members of the club as none
of them have any knowledge of the handling of sailing craft, the
catboat and the sloop having given away to the motorboat during
the past twenty years. Isaac
T Washburne, who was a very skilled amateur sailor in his boyhood
days, has handled the boat and he is simply delighted with the behavior
of the new craft.
Wins Yacht Race. The Shattemuc, the one-design
yacht owned by the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club, sailed in admirable
style by Isaac T Washburne and Gabriel R Mead, showed her heels
to the Rival and Tappan over a five and one-half mile course at
the regatta of the Tappan Zee Yacht Club at Nyack last Saturday.
The victory was especially gratifying
to the crew and club members, through the fact that the same boats
defeated the Shattemuc on previous occasions.
The local boat finished three and one-half minutes ahead
of the Rival and four minutes ahead of the Tappan.
Design Yachts Are Popular. An interesting
feature of the present season at the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club
will be the series of races in the Indian one-design class, which
will begin this (Saturday) afternoon. These little sailing craft are
but twenty feet long and those already finished and being tried
out are owned by Thomas Carpenter, J Herbert Carpenter Jr. and George
Beisheim. They have been built by Thorpe Brothers at
Nyack and the four still to be delivered are owned by Durbin and
Wood, George Bruce, Edward Erickson and Raymond C Peck.
big entertainment of the Shattemuc Yacht & Canoe Club will
take place tomorrow night at the Parthenon Theatre and will present
to an Ossining audience an array of talent of unusual size and
The vaudeville which will be
furnished by the Marcus Loew-Sullivan & Considine circuit
will consist of the Two Delks, singers and dancers.
The second part will be furnished by local amateurs assisted
by volunteer talent from elsewhere.
The entertainment will conclude with motion pictures.
There will be no reserved seats and the tickets are selling
for $1 each.
--Ossining Daily Citizen
Open Fall Regatta. The Fall Open
Regatta of the Shattemuc Yacht and Canoe Club will be held over
the club course, this afternoon at 3:30 o’clock.
All members of the H.R.Y.R.A. have been invited to take
part, and it is expected that the event will be one of the biggest
yet. A cup will be awarded
as first prize in each event. The program is as follows:
1. Class E,
2. Indian Class, 5 miles
3. Class Z (1908) 5 miles
4. Class Z (1910), 5 miles
Cabin Cruisers (Classes A and B), 10 miles
Standing Roof and Open Boats. Class B, (Rating under
40), 10 miles.
Boats, Class D, (Rating 40 and over),
Dingies, 5 miles